Challenge: write a complementary profile of the star crooner and father of one.
Difficulty: as few references to Rickrolling & “Never Gonna Give You Up” as possible.
First, a personal message from Rick to Anggi and Indi. As one YouTube commenter astutely noted: “You wouldn’t get this from any other guy.”
- From Northern England, born in February 1966
- Several UK and US number-one singles.
- Turned away from ravenous music industry to become family man.
- Signature song: “Never Gonna Give You Up,” and it’s not even close.
- YouTube views: over 110 million (at least of his songs and performances), payment from YouTube: $12.
- Signature weapon: His legendary deep voice entertaining millions worldwide.
- Odd phase: As a ginger Michael Bolton in the early 1990s.
- Favourite football club: Aren’t y’all supposed to read the Guardian for that info?.
- Odd encounter: autographing Bibles for nuns while on vacation.
- Odder encounter: anytime he hears of Rickrolling, or anytime he sing that song after the phenomenon took off:
Corniest Poem Ever:
Whenever you need somebody
and are making a cry for help,
here comes a bigger Internet
success story than Yelp.
I avoid loveless internet trolls.
Oh, how I go down your songlist
with such a speedy scroll.
Hopelessly, I move right out.
When Mr. Astley is on the stereo,
baby, it’s lights out.
I hate giving up on love.
Sleeping lonesome? Never!
With the help of the great Rick Astley,
his music connects us together forever!
– Inspired by Rick Astley’s discography
As you have seen, writing something biographical of Rick is simple. What’s inseparable is making a coherent essay about him and skipping “Never Gonna Give You Up.”
Donkeys of the Day: In our ongoing coverage of mules, donkeys, and their kin, this is what a Internet meme backlash might sound like:
Other Redhead Dads Featured:
- Image at top of profile by choo chin nian.